Jan 15, 2009

FOOD IS FUN!

I love eating. I do it pretty much all day long. (those of you who know me know that I'm not exaggerating on this point).

So, thinking about food storage food gave me more than a little sadness. Food storage food tastes nasty and takes a lot of work to prepare. (are you with me on this one?)



My biggest issue with food storage: I wasn't looking forward to eating it. Once I realized that (and it took me more than a few nights of headaches and stress to admit that was my real problem with food storage) I decided, "Heck! I'm planning the thing. I'm in charge here Food. I don't have to store anything I don't want to." With that, I started looking at what food is out there in number 10 cans.

There's the standard fare--rice, beans, wheat, sugar. But the internet revealed more food in number 10 cans than I knew was possible. Shredded cheese? Yes please. Raspberries? Peaches? Broccoli and Sweet Corn? Thank you, I would like that on my shelf.



Even in my state of joy (and I was dancing little dances, and singing little songs, and saying things in an excited voice like "CHEESE!! WE WILL HAVE CHEESE!")
I knew, deep down, that the bulk of my storage foods would be staples, like wheat, beans, rice...fine. All of that is manageable when I know I can have a few "normal" food items as well.

So, want to give yourself the equivalent of a food storage pep talk? Raspberries. Shredded cheese. Meat. Milk. Butter. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. And yes. All of those and more can be in your pantry (or shelving unit) in a number 10 can. Done and done. My most recent purchases:


So, with our food storage forecast looking distinctly more sunny, here is one of my favorite web sites: USA Emergency Supply.
I like USAEmergency because they sell just about everything for either the same or lower price than other places, they have a small can option on many products, they ship when they say they will, and they have helpful explanation/information pages for just about every kind of food they sell. (see the information tab at the top of the web site or try this link to the dairy page).

Another place I've ordered from is: Emergency Essentials. They have a GREAT selection of freeze dried foods and they guarantee their freeze dried foods for 25 years (under proper storage conditions). Their freeze dried cheese and the sweet corn are my favorite so far.

In coming posts I'll put up taste test reviews, a practical example of a 3 month supply, how I've dealt with water storage, cooking beans tutorial and recipe comparisons, and my attempt at cooking wheat bread (that's a winner, so look forward to it.)